Monday, January 9, 2012

New Memories on an old Foundation

This weekend I realized Saturdays are not good for me. I wake up grouchy and emotional every Saturday. I thought and thought about this and realized Saturdays were my "day" with my Dad. Even when I was small I remember spending Saturdays with him. I laid in bed Saturday morning being all miserable and I got a bright idea.

I took Grant to a place my Dad used to take me all the time growing up. I called Auntie Lauren, because Dad always took her there as well. We headed to Sonic for some drinks and made our way to Martin Nature Park.

I hadn't been there in over 20 years. It was Grant's first time.  Of course, the second we get there he starts one direction and we start another. He was actually correct, though. He immediately found a map and was scoping out where to go. He had a great time. I was so glad to be able to share this memory with him and Lauren just as Dad had done with me so many years before.

Well armed. Sword and shield to fight the bad guys.


Quite the poser, yes?

The Monroe shadow.
Lauren, Grant and Ashley
Dad was there in spirit

Grant fell completely in about 5 minutes after this
shot. It was a cold walk back to the car for him!

I woke up to this Saturday. My beautiful Amaryllis
opened.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful memory to share with your son. I hope you can have more Saturday's like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were there on Saturday too!! But we didn't get there until 4:30. I love MNC. I too went there a lot as a child-- so many good memories! We need to all go together sometime.

    ReplyDelete