Friday, December 16, 2011

Steak Sauce and People Skills

I took Grant to Outback Steakhouse last night. He's been sick with a cold that just isn't getting better fast enough and I decided he needed a steak. I know, that's weird. It occurred to me that I never buy meat. Ever. It's always fish chicken or ground turkey. And this little boy LOVES steak. Loves it. With steak sauce. Since I don't know how to cook steak and I don't have a grill, I went to the only steak place I could think of that was family friendly and relatively inexpensive.

We walked in the door and the greeter looked at Grant and said "Are you ready for Christmas?"

Grant just looked at her. I kindly replied, yes, he is.

Grant looked at me and then said to the greeter, "I know exactly what Christmas is about. It's about family more than presents and Jesus's birthday and Santa Clause knowing whether your are good or bad".

The greeter was speechless. As was I. He most certainly does know about Christmas. I'm so glad all of my efforts are paying off to teach Grant the real reason behind Christmas. That was the best gift he could have given me.

We get seated at our table and after the waiter introduces himself as Sam. Grant asks him why our table is the only one without a light that works. I hadn't even noticed.

Sam kindly fixed it.

Grant ordered a steak with apples and as Sam was walking away, Grant shouted "Sam, don't forget the steak sauce, please".

I ordered this,  

which, Grant ate half of because his "steak was too spicy."




Great. Glad we went to a *steak* place and you eat *my* fish.


I was astounded with Grant's ability to speak with people last night. He was very respectful to our waiter. Sam asked  Grant a question and when Grant's mouth was full, he placed his hand in front of his mouth while he answered his question. And as we left, Grant yelled out halfway across the restaurant, "Bye Sam and thank you". Sam turned around and yelled back bye and you're welcome.

 I realized last night just how impressionable he is and what a little independent thinker he has become. And sincere and concerned about people and their feelings. Sincerity can't be taught. I strive to teach him the difference between right and wrong, good and bad choices, but at the end of the day when 's grown up, he'll be left to make those choices without me. I can only hope I get those core values in him now, and based on last night's behavior, I feel very good about this little boy and his character in the future.

I live by the words my Dad left me and I will pass that along to Grant: "You always know the right thing to do, it won't always be the easy thing to do and may be too hard to do, but it's the right thing." I know if Dad were here to see this little boy finally coming into his own actions and decisions, he would be so proud. We miss you, Dad.

1 comment:

  1. I am sure your dad would be proud. Proud of the independent and kind young man Grant is and the thoughtful and compassionate mom you are. :)

    ReplyDelete