Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A few things I forgot to mention

The day before we left for our trip, Grant had his "test and interview" at Cleveland Elementary. I thought this would be something informal and simple.

No. It was not.

We pulled up to the school and walked in. And then I freaked out.

There were tons of kids and parents running around. Most parents were dressed up and their children were in their Sunday clothes. Everyone was trying to figure out where to go. Grant decided he was going to freak out too and hid behind me for a good 5 minutes.

We arrived at the designated time and place a little early, and so we stood outside the classroom where, there were other children already testing. Apparently Grant wasn't the only one who made the interview cut. Clearly, Grant should be allowed to go to school here and having to "prove" it bothered me even more.

Since when are essays from parents, teacher recommendation letters (3 of them were required), schmoozing at auctions and forcibly meeting strangers to try and "network", trying to make friends with the Principal so maybe your kid will stand out in the finals and testing your child BEHIND CLOSED DOORS necessary to transfer to an elementary school.... that's three blocks away from my house.

 I've been working this thing for months now.

Months.

And, hand writing a thank you note to the principal.

And, offering to present some type of program during dental hygiene month for kids.

And, promising to be a member of the PTA and volunteering to garden at the school.

This is making me crazy.

And, I still don't know if he got in. My stomach is in knots.

My view of Grant. Behind closed doors. In a real school.
Testing on I don't even know what.

On the way to this awful experience, we stopped at the usual stop light at 10th and Penn coming back from YMCA downtown. Grant ALWAYS wants to go into this terrible, filthy and totally unsafe thrift store because they put half of their store items outside for everyone to see, which is basically a bunch of junk you wouldn't even buy at a garage sale.

Grant decides at the stop light that this is where he wants his 7th birthday party to take place.

At the disgusting, dirty and scary place.



I'm going to have to find a new route home.

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment